BLUE RIDGE GROTTO
JANUARY 19, 2007
Marian McConnell Dan McConnell Dave Socky *Nick Socky
Mary Sue Socky Carl Cornett Trish Geiger
Chris Heptinstall Doug Feller Todd Martin
Greg McCorkindale James Maughan Susan Burr
Pat Sims *Carl Alls *Susan Neate
*Sam Aguilera *’Jimbo’ Poff Jen Perdue
Rudy Jennings *John Jennings *Barbara Jennings
Al Stewart Jarrod Richards Jeff Richards
12/2/06- Grand Caverns, VA Pat Sims, Dave Socky, Susan Burr, Aaron Moses, Carl Cornett, Jen Neeman did a conservation trip to the New Section to attempt to remove the muddy footprints from white flowstone. Attempts were not successful. Try again, using different methods in 2007. Mary Sue Socky, Carol Tiderman, ???, worked to pull old dead wire from sections of the commercial cave, widen a tight passage for explorers (still needs microblasting) and removal of coinage from pools beside steps.
1/6/2007 – Paxton’s Cave, VA. Doug Feller, Dave Socky, Susan Burr, Pat
Sims, Hayley Grasty, Cole Frantz, Rick Shortt, Leanne Barley. Doug & Dave had great fun getting
everyone “lost” in
1/13/07: Dave Socky, Brian Williams, Larry Fisher, Gordon Cole surveyed 773’ in
1/13/07 – Trish Geiger and 3 other cavers (WVACS, XTR) went
to the Lipps Entrance of
1/14/2007 – Poor Farm Caves # 1 & #2, Pocahontas Co. WVA. Rick Shortt, Leanne Barley, Doug Feller, Pat Sims, Susan Burr, Don Anderson, Doug Dalrymple, Tommy Bell, Suzanne Clore, McKenzie WIlls, Bill Pond, Robin Brickey, Carolyn McCain. This was a NRVG cave trip. A flock of sheep greeted us; (perhaps they were looking for Al Stewart?)…good cave trip, a couple of scary spots, a pit, and mostly big booming passages except for the 40 ft. crawl. Poor Farm #2 is wet, so Susan didn’t go too far.
1-14-07 – Vertical Practice @ RocWood Indoor Climbing Wall. 12 folks plus 3 instructors: Dan McConnell, Marian McConnell, Mary Sue Socky, Carl Cornett, Rudy Jennings, John Jennings, Hayley Grasty, Carl Alls, James Poff, Sam Aguilera, Susan Neate, Cyndi Hutchison, John Layman, Cole Frantz, Martin DiLeggi. Split into 2 groups, basic and advanced. The advanced group practiced changeovers and different climbing systems, while the basic group practiced rappelling and belaying. “Check and double check your gear before rappel”, “Rock site safety” (anchoring the rope for rappel or climb is more than just tying a rope around a tree) were repeatedly stressed. Excellent class! (Another will be offered in March 2007)
1/17/07 – Al Stewart and Mary Sue Socky visited Goodwins
Cave to install the “cleaned up” lock and lube the other locks on the gate
and bridge cable.
Upcoming Cave Trips:
Tomorrow – 1-20-07
Tomorrow – 1-20-07 Rapp’s Gating – BRG decided not to go, it will be too cold.
2/3/07 – Grand Caverns and
2/17/07 – Porter’s Cave, VA. Leader is Doug Feller, co-leader is Susan Burr.
TBA – Dixie Caverns Cleanup – we need to pick a date!
TBA – March, on a Sunday – RocWood Vertical class
PROGRAM – The Best of the 2006 NSS Video Salon (17 minutes)
Al Stewart was given a card and several gifts to celebrate his recent (Jan 8) 77th birthday.
General Fund $ 4745.39
Conservation $ 575.00
Equipment Fund $ 242.00
Newsletter: January was a short newsletter ‘cause both editors were sick. Dave Socky promises to include the photos you send him in future DUMPS, or at least on the eDUMP page.
Membership: For 2007, we have 39 members and 1 subscriber
ROCKS: Perry Saltpeter Cave, Botetourt Co. is better protected thanks to Botetourt Planning Commission
S&T: Dan McConnell is planning another vertical session at RocWood in March 2007.
we need to set up a Dixie Caverns cleanup. No dates chosen yet. (
Ways & Means: Auction of a SECCI T-shirt with map of South Pittsburg Pit on the back. Bidding was fun, Fossil # 1 bid the highest for the shirt = $ 9.00, will go into Conservation fund.
John Layman, NSS # 57912, sponsored by Susan Burr (John had to work, was Voted In, in abstention)
Hayley Grasty, NSS # 58321, (as of 1/23/07) sponsored by Doug Feller. Voted in
(John still needs to pay his dues.) No other membership proposals.
BRG Xmas Party – 34+ folks in a tiny room @ Rancho
Viejo. Will try Italian in 2007, Mama
· NSS I.O. Report, 2006, for BRG has been sent in (D. Socky).
· Grand Caverns – muddy footprint eradication – VAR wants us to try again, says they have a portable wet/dry vac that may do the trick. Susan & Pat say they will be available to try in March 3, 2007.
· Goodwin’s Gate Improvements – Mary Sue Socky has talked with Mr. Drewry, has sent him Craig Hindman’s gate plans so Mr. Drewry and son-in-law Lee can look over and play with them.
· Eight Rivers Environmental Group – Not much happening, Spring VAR will be held very near this site.
· Rufe Caldwell Sinkhole Cleanup – Joey Fagan is getting Marian McConnell and Mary Sue Socky to contact, work with landowner to set up the cleanup. Arrangements for a backhoe will be needed. Landowner can use caver volunteers as her part of the cleanup, and not have to pay much, if any money for the cleanup.
· Endless Caverns Controversy – new owners want to do megabucks development, neighbors oppose, are concerned about water rights and groundwater quality issues. BRG cavers will be kept informed, but cautioned to remain neutral or all access to currently ‘caver friendly’ Endless may disappear (we don’t want a repeat of hostile letters to the quarry owners that resulted in the complete closure of Hellhole, WVA)
Science Fair Project – Nick Socky gave a brief report
on his and Elliot George’s science fair project on collecting water samples
from caves and testing the pH, see if it differs with the limestone
substrate. Chair Marian requested that
Nick & Elliot share their project results with BRG. Grand Caverns also would like a copy of the project results. Carl Cornett offered to take water samples
for them in
· Caverns of Sonora Butterfly deliberately broken in Nov. 21 – report.
· Easter Conservation weekend Apr 7-8, 2007 at Grand Caverns
· Spring VAR Pre-registration forms.
Meeting ended 9p.
Minutes submitted by
Corrections in blue.