BLUE RIDGE GROTTO
FEBRUARY 16, 2007
Marian McConnell Pat Sims Chris Heptinstall
Rick Shortt *Leanne Barley Al Stewart
Cameron Hall *Sam Aguilera *Shannon Raybuck
*Carl Alls *Jerry Simmons *Josh Bissette
*Jimbo Poff *Susan Neate *Nick Socky
Jan/Feb 2007 – Martin DiLeggi is continuing his work on the Sugar Creek Cave dig.
1/20/07 – Dave Socky attended the VA Cave Board Meeting at Grand Caverns, VA.
1/20/07 – Marshall’s Cave VA (BRG grotto trip)
2/3/07 – Grand Caverns, VA.
2/4/07: Botetourt Co. VA Ridgewalk. Dave Socky,
Upcoming Cave Trips:
Tomorrow 2/17/2007 McClung’s Cave, WVa. Dave Socky is leader. Vertical cave trip.
3/307: Grand Caverns Resurvey weekend. Various activities.
Saturday 3/24/07 – Vertical Training at RocWood, 9a-4p. Dan McConnell is instructor.
2007 – NCRC Weeklong,
NEXT MONTH”S TRIP – to Cave Spring Cave, Rockbridge Co. VA. Leaders are Dave Socky and Rick Shortt. Cave can be challenging.
slide programs – Surveying in
Everyone present voted for their “Favorite 5” CARBIDE DUMP newsletter covers from 2006. The winners will be sent in to the NSS Graphic Arts Salon.
General Fund $ 5007.78
Conservation $ 584.00
Equipment Fund $ 242.00
Newsletter: Editor Dave Socky encourages folks to write letters to the editor concerning the controversial Feb. 2007 DUMP cover (photo was taken by a BRG person, but the subject was not a BRG member). Editor Dave also promises to use more people’s (Pat Sims) photos with cave articles in the DUMP.
Membership: We currently have 55 members and 5 subscribers. MSSocky hopes to print the 2007 BRG Membership list for the March meeting.
ROCKS: Is alive! They have been ridgewalking… see trip reports.
S&T: the next vertical session will be March 24, 2007 at RocWood. 9a-4p.
Conservation: vacant. See Old Business
Ways & Means: vacant
Membership Proposals: Cameron Hall is interested in joining BRG, but this was his first BRG meeting, he had not been on an “official” BRG trip yet, and he did not have a letter written. BRG invited him to go caving, get involved, and then move through the membership process. No other proposals.
· Grand Caverns – muddy footprint eradication – VAR wants us to try again, says they have a portable wet/dry vac that may do the trick. Susan & Pat say they will be available to try in March 3, 2007.
· Eight Rivers Environmental Group – Not much happening, Spring VAR will be held very near this site.
Rufe Caldwell Sinkhole Cleanup – Joey Fagan is
· Endless Caverns controversy. Seems old and new owners, neighbors are butting heads. Cavers are quietly working with the new owners, don’t want to take sides or piss anyone off. Cavers are to stay out of the controversy. Previous owners seem to be trying to tell the new owners what to do. (That’s NOT gonna work!)
Science Fair Project.
DIXIE CAVERNS Conservation: After discussion BRG chose the date or April
1, 2007 for the conservation effort. Conservation
effort hours will be 10a -4p, and
Endless Caverns – VAR is looking for someone to draw
up the map of Endless Caverns.
· Brief discussion on the recent Ron Simmons cave diving fatality.
· Easter Conservation weekend Apr 7-8, 2007 at Grand Caverns
· Spring VAR Pre-registration forms.
Meeting ended a little before 9p.
Minutes submitted by